Saturday, April 24, 2010

Isaac


HELP!!!!

I am in need of some serious advice. Isaac is 2, he turns 3 in July and I can't figure him out. How do you keep a 2 year old engaged and out of trouble. I think I have figured out that he is bored...all the time, so he just gets in trouble. wether(is that the right spelling) it is him randomly chucking a toy or something else across the room....nearly missing the baby or me or something else breakable, to climbing on furniture, to just plain NOT listening to a word I say. I hate feeling like I am constantly telling him "no" or "Isaac, don't do that" The only thing that he WANTS to do is watch shows, and I cannot in good conscience let him do that. I have tried using a show for a reward....but he breaks down and has a tantrum when he doesn't get it WHEN he wants it.I ignore that behavior, obviously don't give in to them, but its the same problem over and over again. I was reading a great book, "Christlike parenting" and it says that if the problem is repeating itself over and over again, then its likely a parenting issue. I thought I was a pretty good parent, but what am I doing wrong? People say that he is a boy...that should explain a lot, but I don't like the person I am these days, I feel like I am going crazy, I am annoyed, frustrated and overwhelmed.

Isaac is genuinely a good kid, and maybe it is just my parenting skills. So how do I deal with this? How do I NOT get anxious about taking him out in public, for fear of him just running away... he gets his blinders on and there is nothing stopping him. I HATE yelling, and unfortunately I have found myself doing just that, and we all know that yelling doesn't do a thing to correct behavior or even get their attention.

What to do??? any suggestions on what to do? how to raise a boy?...seeing as I have two of them now, I should probably get this figured out sooner than later.

1 comment:

John and Clara Balsmeier said...

Oh girl, I know how you feel. I have a two year old little boy right now too (who is also named Isaac) and it's terrible. They can be so sweet and then just so monstrous at times. The only thing I have found that works with our Isaac is to stop and give him some loves and pay special attention to what he wants or is saying to me. I know is sounds silly but with three other kids, it's not always an easy thing to do. Isaac also likes to feel like he is helping me in some way. So setting him up with a 'chore' or 'project' is a good way to keep him busy. I have also found with all of my kids that if they are acting out, a little one on one time with me or their dad works wonders. I feel like a lot of bahavior can be a way to get some attention that they feel they are missing out on. My kids also like to dance and play outside. If my boys are particularly rambunctious I will turn on some music and make em dance, or if it's nice, send em outside--both methods of burning off all that excess energy. (which boys seem to have much more of than girls) Anyway, this is all I've got--I hope it helps. Good luck!!