Saturday, February 13, 2010

Dido!!

Ok...so my my cousin wrote this in her post, and I just loved the way that she said it, and I agree with it completely...so I am just going to re-post what she said! Clara, I hope you don't mind, but these exact thoughts have been going through my mind these last few days, and I just think you said it much better than I could have. (I will only change names!!!)

V-Day
Valentine's Day on on Sunday. A lot of people (my husband included) will tell you that its just a made-up holiday to make guys spend money and look bad, and besides, you should cherish your sweetheart all the time--who needs Valentine's Day. Well, to all who say that, I say this -- WHATEVER!!

The same statement(s) could be made about any holiday. Christmas - shouldn't we remember our dear Savior's birth everyday (the 25th of December isn't the right date anyway)? Fourth of July - isn't it great to live in this country every day, not just a certain one mid-summer? Easter - the death and resurrection of the Savior is definitely something we should carry with us every second, is it not? Thanksgiving- grateful one day a year..anybody? St. Patrick's Day- lets face it, this is just a reason for people to get drunk. Halloween-well, if you have a problem with holidays, we shouldn't even start on Halloween. Birthdays- I am pretty sure I will remember the birth of my children forever, as does my mother with her children. The list of designated "days" goes on.

I feel like men say this so they are justified in ignoring the holiday. I know Erik would have a fit if I were to say this about the Fourth of July (you know--the one day a year he gets to play with fire and blow things up?) So why do I hear some women saying this? I am sure I don't know. Reverse psychology? A game? Maybe their partner says it cuz they know Valentines will be ignored, so they say it to feel better. I don't know. Unless, you people are going to be equally skeptical of all holidays and their origins, give February a break!

All holidays have their purpose. They give people a chance to slow down and remember what's important. I wonder by what percentage church attendance increases at Christmas or Easter. These people should probably be attending services every Sunday, but at least they went once. At least for one day a year the world (over generalization, I know) can stop, sit back, and think about the Savior. (Twice, if you count Easter). It's better that not at all. I am not saying Valentine's is not blown out of proportion....it most definitely it...just like Christmas. I am not saying I expect Erik to buy me a tennis bracelet every February 14th, just like I don't expect him to buy me a diamond ring every year on our anniversary. NO!! I just expect some thought! A nice heartfelt note would be very agreeable to me. Just some thought and maybe a little bit of time!

I don't even have a personal overwhelming passion about this heart filled, pink and red holiday...I am just saying, the whole point of Valentine's Day is to remember the ones we love, a designated time to remember someone we care about. Just like anniversaries, Mother's Day, Christmas etc... So what if it is a completely fabricated day of importance? ( I know there's some significance--St. Valentine--I don't know the whole story). I know women (myself included) can get their hopes up and be bothered if disappointed -- but that's not the point ( besides can't the same thing be said of the anniversary, Christmas, or birthday present?) The point of February 14th is just another opportunity to express your love for someone. There is nothing wrong with that. I recommend to the men that swear its all about the $$, to write a song, a note, nothing expensive. Put time and thought, real though, into it and see how she re-acts. If after that, your one and only still has complaints about how much dinero you did or didn't spend...you might have bigger problems.

Well said Clara!! My whole opinion on the holiday/celebrating thing, is that it is a way for us to slow down and remember those around us, to celebrate that person or persons! But more importantly to teach our children! This is what is important to me. I know that we should be teaching our children everyday, and we do, but its also fun to take that special time out, during those holidays, whether its V-day or Christmas, Mother's day, or Father's day...Birthdays. To get them excited to do something extra special, to honor somebody, to get them out of their own head and think of someone else! At least that is what I am trying to teach my kiddos and that is what I made sure to express to my hubby this year, I don't necessarily want a romantic dinner (not saying that I wouldn't take one, if offered!!) but I wanted him to take the kids and have them get involved in whatever they decided to do today, so that we all can have sometime to think and get excited for someone else!

1 comment:

John and Clara Balsmeier said...

Wow, what an incredibly awesome cuz you have!!!