Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Food for thought!

I know...its crazy two posts in two days! Well I got home from a fabulous evening at my friends house where I learned all about good food and nutrition. It was wonderful, and the wonderful thing to me is that most of the stuff was review for me, but I came home tonight and folded some laundry then climbed into bed and opened my scriptures and I read this verse:

"...and I am left to mourn because of the unbelief, and the wickedness, and the ignorance, and the stiffneckedness of men; for they will not search knowledge, nor understanding great knowledge when it is given unto them in plainess, even as plain as word can be."

It hit me tonight, that yes, this was all review to me, I know exactly what this wonderful lady was telling us, and have I put any of it into practice. NOPE. Why? Why wouldnt I do these things? Is it to hard? Is it my pride, well probably. Are the things she is telling me not plain as plain can be? It is pretty straightforward, and if you want to throw the word of wisdom into play here, it totally fits into the word of wisdom and the way God intended us to take care of our bodies. Dont even get me started on evil and conspiring men in these last days.
All this comes into play with the thoughts that I have had this last week, about my duty. My duty as a mother especially, and how I feel like I have been lacking and not preparing my kids to go out into this world that is falling apart everywhere we look. That is 9 short months I am supposed to send my baby boy to kindergarten...for 7 hours a day 5 days a week. How everyday I send my beautiful, spunky, 6 year old off to the first grade for 7 hours a day, and how I ask myself, "have I sufficiently helped my kids put on their armor today? Not just spiritual, but physical?" And if I were going to be honest with myself the answer is no. I have slacked big time. I had a spiritual awakening earlier this week, and this evening, once again, I had a physical awakening of sorts as to what I should and need to be doing desperately not just for the kids but for myself, so I can be that Mom that can help my family face whats out there.
So here I am confessing and making a promise to myself and to the Lord that I am gonna try everyday to be a little better. That I will make the changes that I know that I should be, and I know its not going to be easy, because lets face it, if it doesn't hurt(even just a little), then you probably aren't changing!
I feel like I have been given a wealth of knowledge over the last year, that I have so willingly put on the back burner and said to myself, "oh, well thats really good to know!" I feel like I have been in the right place at the right time to receive this information, and yet I haven't put it into action. I don't know how many more times the Lord is gonna put it in my face before I have to have that wake-up call, and I seriously hate it when the Lord finally has to give me that wake-up call. Times a ticking!
I pray that the Lord will be with me and my family on this journey. I know that right now I have a choice to make and I feel like the Lord has faced me in the right direction, now its up to me to take the first steps.

Thanks for reading my ramblings, I don't even know if you can understand what it is I am trying to say, but I had to get it down, and for some reason, I felt that this blog is where it needed to go.

2 comments:

Reed Pettingill said...

One of my favorite quotations from C. S. Lewis:
Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what he is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roofs, and so on. You knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently, He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of, throwing out a wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up new towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage, but he is building a palace.

eamartinson said...

@Dad...thanks for that quote. I love it, I think I will re-use that one sometime! Sure miss you...and I sure hope you are keeping an eye out for cheap airline tickets to come see us!